Our comprehensive Lifeguard Training course includes accident prevention, lifeguarding techniques, emergency systems, and rescue skills. Course will also include CPR for the professional rescuer with AED, oxygen administration and first aid.
A Red Cross lifeguarding manual, first aid training kit, and resuscitation mask are all provided. Class size is limited so pre-registration is recommended.
What you’ll learn
- Specific duties and other responsibilities of a lifeguard.
- How to perform these skills in a professional manner.
- A number of lifeguarding techniques that will be performed in and out of the water.
Course completion requirements
- Participation in the classroom.
- Participation in the water.
- Successful performance in skill knowledge evaluations.
You must be at least 15 years of age before the last scheduled class session.
Prerequisite skills. You will be required to pass a prerequisite session. Skills you must be able to perform include:
- Swimming 300 yards continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. [Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.]
- Treading water for 2 minutes using only the legs. [Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.]
- Completing a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water and swimming 20 yards. [The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles may be used.]
- Surface diving, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Returning to the surface and swimming 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point, with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. (Candidates should not swim the distance under water.)
- Exiting the water without using a ladder or steps.
Available January – May.
Members: $175.00 | Program Participants: $200.00
Call the Y at 563.556.3371 for more details.
LIFEGUARD RECERTIFICATION TRAINING
Upon successful completion of the American Red Cross Training Course, you will receive an American Red Cross certificate. All certifications, which include CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid and Lifeguarding, will be valid for 2 years.
Available March – May.
Members: $80.00 | Program Participants: $115.00