Glimmer of Hope 2020
DUBUQUE COMMUNITY YMCA/YWCA 15th ANNUAL GLIMMER OF HOPE
Join us this year for the MONTH of GLIMMER: October 1 – 29, 2020
All proceeds go to supporting our Victim Services Shelter – an eight-room, 20-bed shelter for those who are fleeing a life of domestic violence, human sex trafficking, or sexual assault.
For some, it takes months, and for others, it takes years to reach out for help when leaving a domestic violence, human sex trafficking, or sexual assault situation. From the moment a client and their children step foot in our shelter they are shown nothing but love, respect, and dignity. Though the journey is tough, our staff ensure they find the best pathway out of their situation, feeling empowered and excited about new life opportunities. Join us in helping more people find their pathway to empowerment.
- Candlelight Vigil: Thursday, October 1, 2020 @ 6:30PM in Washington Park
Its a night about empowering those who have lived or are currently living a life of violence. At our Candlelight Vigil you will hear from a survivor of Domestic Violence, Rachel. A story about how childhood trauma translates into self-hate that results in allowing abuse, how she broke free from the lies, and is now living a life free from violence. You will also learn more about our Victim Services Shelter and how you can make a difference in our community.
- Ask the Experts: Tuesday, October 6, 2020 @6:30 PM at the Dubuque Y and on Facebook Live
- Empowered By the Community (Glimmer of Hope 2020 Virtual Celebration and Wrap Up): Thursday, October 29, 2020 @6:30PM on Facebook Live
WAYS TO SUPPORT THE SHELTER
- GIVE NOW ONLINE
- Participate in the Silent auction: https://www.accelevents.com/e/GlimmerofHope
- Glimmer 2020 Raffles: https://givebutter.com/Glimmerofhope2020
- Doland Jewelers Diamond Draw – Purchase a raffle ticket for the Diamond Draw ($50 per ticket or 3 for $100) to get entered to win a pendant and earring set
- Gift card raffle – $25 per ticket and receive a gift card to a local business (tickets available at the Candlelight Vigil and Dubuque Community Y)
- Take part in our social media challenge and challenge your friends to do it
- Fill up a purple water balloon with water (Balloons available to pick up at the Dubuque Y or Doland Jewelers, or you can purchase at the store)
- Grab a partner and throw the water balloon back and forth until it pops on someone. (Be creative and have fun with this part, if you dont have a water balloon but would like to participate please feel free to find another fun way such as filling a cup with water)
- After it pops, put your hands out like a stop sign and say “Stop! Hands are for helping not hurting. End domestic violence.”
- Post your video to Facebook, tag 5 friends asking them to take on the social media challenge, and donate $25 to the Dubuque Y’s Victim Services Shelter. (Donations can be given via Venmo @DubuqueCommunity-Y, or through https://givebutter.com/Glimmerofhope2020)
THANK YOU TO OUR PROUD 2020 SPONSORS – WE COULD NOT DO THIS WITHOUT YOU!
Dubuque Stamping & Manufacturing
Marty and Nancy McNamer
Sisters of St. Francis
Chad and Janelle Cox
Tap On It Dubuque